The Circulation Coordinator manages circulation desk services for library patrons and volunteers. They are responsible for the day to day coordination of the circulation staff. Duties include training, informational material preparation, collection maintenance, and oversight of the Library’s social media, as well occasionally overseeing adult programming.
This position will provide reader advisory information to the general public as well as manage patron material requests and inter-library loans.
The Circulation Coordinator reports to the Library Director.
- Responsible for the day to day coordination of the circulation desk and staff. Including but not limited to training, scheduling, assigning projects and duties, and supporting consistent communication.
- Working with the Director, recommends policy, drafts procedures, and coordinates staff training for existing and new department procedures. Ensures the circulation procedure manual is up-to-date. Oversees and implements training for new employees and volunteers.
- Creates and implements daily circulation work schedule, including projects, desk coverage, breaks, and programming set-up.
- Assigns shelf reading & collection maintenance duties.
- Implements collection maintenance (inventory and deselection).
- Prepares and creates signage and displays for library use. Works with Children’s Librarian to promote library programs.
- Manages the library’s social media.
- Provides direct circulation desk activities including: check in/out materials, collect fines, answer phone calls, provide reference information, process library items, shelve materials, empty book drop, and reader advisory.
- Accurately handles cash and check bank deposits, ensuring the register is current and correct.
Experience in a Library setting interacting with the public providing direct circulation desk service preferred.
Minimum Education: High School Diploma or equivalent. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Physical and Cognitive Qualifications:
- Ability to read, write and understand written and verbal instructions proficiently in English
- Ability to speak and hear to communicate with patrons; ability to hear and see various forms of library media and materials
- Ability to utilize computer keyboard and monitor
- Ability to use alpha-numeric filing systems, including the Dewey Decimal system
- Ability to lift items ranging from 10-25 pounds and to push carts from 25-50 pounds
- Ability to reach heights up to six feet and bend to floor level
- Ability to perform repetitive hand movements using computer keyboard and opening/closing of library material
Schedule: 40 hours per week. Typical hours are Monday through Friday but may include evening and weekend hours as well.
Disclaimer: The above statements describe the general nature and level of work performance by people assigned to this classification. They are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their everyday duties from time to time, as needed.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $28,000.00 – $31,000.00 per year